Root Canals

Gums caving in and bruising after root canal

08/14/2007

Question:

I had a root canal almost a week ago and a couple days after, my gums on the inside of the temporary crown almost apprear to be caving in. Like a hole beside my tooth. I`ve also experienced bruising and I can barely eat it is so painfull. If feel like an open wound in my mouth. I told my dentist about the bruising and he says it`s normal. Are my post-root canal pains normal? And have you ever heard of the gums caving in?

Thank you!

Answer:

It sounds like you had some type of surgical treatment for an endodontic problem. Generally, gums recede due to lack of bone support underneath.  I am not sure about bruising. Where is the bruising (on gingiva or on your skin)? Bruising on gingiva may be due to surgical trauma, endodontic material, etc. Pain when you bite tells you that there is something at the most apical portion of the tooth. It is very hard for me to tell what is going on without seeing you and figuring out what type of endodontic treatment you had.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology