White discharge during intercourse

08/20/2007

Question:

I am 17 and am not currently using birth control pills. I had intercourse with my boyfriend about a week ago and we noticed that I had a white, creamy, odorless discharge. My boyfriend was covered in it.

After we had sex I took a nap and then when I woke up I went to the bathroom. I noticed that at the end of urination I felt a sharp stinging burn. After that we had sex again and I noticed that I was starting to have vaginal itching and burning.

The next day I used a one day over the counter yeast infection product. My itching and burning went away but I still had the urinary burning. I went to my doctor and no bacteria was found in my urine but she did put me on an antibiotic, and now I don`t have a burning when I urinate. I started having odorless clumpy white discharge which I figured was from the yest infection product.

It has been 5 days since I used the product and I don`t have the clumpy discharge anymore. When I tried having sex I had the same white, thick, odorless discharge that I had before. I don`t have any pain during intercourse, I just feel kind of embarrassed because there is so much of it. Is this discharge normal or was it something I did?

Answer:

By your description, it sounds like you have a yeast infection that has not totally gone away. It also could just be a normal discharge due to hormones. Find out from your doctor whether you were tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea when he/she saw you – if not, it would be a good idea to make sure you don’t have that. Treatment for a week with the yeast infection product is best (during which you don’t have intercourse). Finally, please take precautions all the time by making sure that both of you are monogamous (have no other partners), and that you still require the use of condoms to protect yourself.

By the way, it is a good practice to always urinate after intercourse to ensure that you don’t get a urinary tract infection, such as what happened this time.

W. Fred Miser, MD W. Fred Miser, MD
Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Director of Ohio State Medicine Residency Program