Healing time for trigger finger surgery

08/16/2007

Question:

I AM A PET GROOMER. ON APRIL 1 OF 2005, I WAS BIT BY A CAT AND DEVELOPED A BONE INFECTION. THEY AMPUTATED MY FIRST JOINT OF MY INDEX FINGER, AFTER A LONG BOUT OF ANTIBIOTICS AND SURGERIES THAT COULD NOT CURE THE INFECTION. NOT ONLY DID I DEVELOP NEUROMAS ON MY INDEX FINGER, BUT ALSO A TRIGGER FINGER TO MY MIDDLE FINGER. MY DOCTOR DID SURGERY TO RELEASE MY TRIGGER FINGER AS WELL AS CUT THE NEUROMAS OUT. THE SURGERY TOOK PLACE JUNE 25 OF 2007. MY MIDDLE FINGER STILL FEELS JAMMED AT THE KNUCKLE IN MY HAND AND THE KNUCKLE IN MY FINGER AS WELL. IT HURTS WHEN I TRY TO GRIP,PINCH, AND MY STRENGTH OF MY RIGHT HAND HAS DECREASED. I STILL HAVE SWELLING AND WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THIS WOULD GO AWAY BY NOW. ALONG WITH THAT, WHERE THEY CUT THE NEUROMAS BACK, IT STILL FEELS LIKE A SHOCKING PAIN FURTHER DOWN THE FINGER. I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION ON HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO HEAL. I AM GOING TO THERAPY AND WANT TO GET BACK TO AT LEAST A SOMEWHAT NORMAL MOBILITY IN MY HAND AND FINGERS, BUT I AM VERY FRUSTRATED AS THIS HAS GONE ON SO LONG. CAN YOU SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT FOR ME. IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Answer:

Unfortunately, your inquiry is outside the scope of this website. NetWellness experts provide information only; they do not diagnose or give specific medical recommendations. You may want to discuss this with the health care professional that performed your surgery. Thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Charles Webster, MD