Athletic Training

Prolonged problem of the elbow.

09/05/2007

Question:

Hello there, I`m a 17 year old male with a troublesome problem of the elbow. Basically, my elbow started acting up about a year and half ago when I was lifting weights. I noticed during bench pressing my elbow was acting strange when I would strain reps my elbow would feel like my tendons were stretching/pulling/slipping/popping. The problem wasn`t very common at the time so I continued to work out and then after it started to become more of a nuisance, I started noticing it just lifting heavy objects around the house until it started becoming quite common. Then I decided to take a break off the weights and I haven`t lifted weights for approx. 6 months now and I`m still having problems, at work etc. At times pain radiates down my forearm. As to where the I feel the pop/slipping I feel it between the two bone points. Any idea what this could be? How to treat it? Thanks!

Answer:

It is very hard to tell for sure what is going on. I would suggest seeing a physician to determine exactly what it is. My three guesses would be: tricep tendonitis, medial epicondilitis, or you may be getting some ulnar nerve irritation. Only by examination would someone be able to determine the true cause of your pain. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Jeffery  A Bright, MS, ATC/L Jeffery A Bright, MS, ATC/L
Assistant Athletic Trainer, Department of Athletics
Instructor