Athletic Training

5th metatarsal fracture

08/17/2007

Question:

I have a fractured 5th Metarsal and have been in first a cast, then a walking boot for a total of 11 weeks and it hasn`t healed. I have also been using an ultra sound bone stimulator and taking calcium/Vit D supplements. I`ve recently been told that the fracture is an old one, but I don`t know how long it has actually been broken. I was referred to a surgeon, but when she pushed on the side of my foot it didn`t hurt anymore. I have been asked to run, jump, do whatever I would normally do and try to get it to hurt. My foot does hurt, just walking, but not terribly like it did before. My question is would removing that small piece of bone do the trick and make it stop hurting? What would you recommend for this type of injury?

Answer:

I'm sorry, but it sounds like your problem is more extensive than what can be addressed in a general forum like this one. You may want to seek a second opinion if you are not satisfied with what you are being told by your current health care provider.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Vincent J O'Brien, ATC Vincent J O'Brien, ATC
Head Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professions