Myasthenia Gravis

Sudden onset of leg weakness

08/27/2007

Question:

I have been suffering with the sudden onset of weekness in both legs for about a year now,When it happens I feel like I have no power in my legs and feel weekness in them,These come on very suddenly and the leave my legs feeling stiff for a number of days after.I do not get this every day however and I am never sure when it will happen but this week i have had two bouts three days apart.I have had a E.M.G but wont have results for another six months,I had a M.R.I a year ago which was normal.Any advice please

Answer:

Myasthenia gravis is a disease of bad communication between the nerves and the muscle. It usually presents as fatiguing weakness of proximal muscles (shoulders, thighs, hips), diplopia (double vision), ptosis (droopy eyelids), and can even present with dysphagia (swallowing problems) and dyspnea (breathing weakness). I have not had many patients complain of leg stiffness afterwards (maybe joint stiffness at the knees from not moving around as much). Keep working with your physician. If they cannot help, then ask for a referral to a neurologist who specializes in neuromuscular disease for evaluation of anything from your back down through the nerves in the legs to the muscles in your body.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD
Assistant Professor of Neurology