Pain Management

Right Leg/Groin Pain

08/21/2007

Question:

I have had pain that I believe starts in the groin area and shoots down the right leg. It is a deep inner pain. I have had for a few months now. It does cause a slight limp when I walk. It is not there every day but when it is very discomforting. I have had an MRI on the brain, spine and back and nothing. I have had an CAT on pelvis and ultra sound on leg to look for blood clot and nothing. Today I am in pain and don`t know what to do anymore. I deal with pain during the day but I don`t want to keep taking Tylenol/Advil etc.. every night to get rest. Where can this pain come from and where else can my doctor look to solve? I feel like I my doctor my think I am nuts due to all the test and nothing found.

Answer:

Possible causes for your pain include hip joint degeneration or a disorder affecting the joints or the nerves in the groin region. A second opinion with a musculoskeletal specialist (Orthopedist, Rheumatologist, PM&R or Pain specialist) may be helpful.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine