Root Canals

Root canal

08/22/2007

Question:

I received a filling under a bridge and still experienced a slight discomfort. I had it Xrayed and was told I would need a root canal by an endodontist. I started taking an antibiotic and after two days of a week`s prescription the pain is totally gone. Does an antibiotic ever cure the infection permanently or at least for such a long time that a root canal can be delayed?

Answer:

An antibiotic will never cure the infection permanently.  In fact, antibiotics do not get into the tooth and rid it of the infection, they are just there to help with symptoms.  It is normal for the body to "take care of" the infected tooth, meaning that there is usually a period of time that you will no longer have symptoms but these will always come back.  We cannot predict when this will occur, but it usually happens at the most inconvenient time.  The best way to prevent future problems, is to have the root canal done.

For more information, a similar question was answered previously:

Do I still need a root canal? (06/29/2007)

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics