Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Senior Health

RE: Elderly mother 77 dementia



My mother is on medicare and is begining to show signs of dimentia she has had several strokes just one the other day and she has gotten very violent with her husband and hearing voices, where can i take her if she refuses to go to the doctors, she has no trust in doctors and is on low income


Your mother needs to be evaluated by a professional as soon as possible. Is there a trusted confidant or clergy or anyone that she trusts who can speak with her about the situation? Does your mother's primary physician know about her situation? If she will not go to the physician, contact your mother's local agency on aging and inquire about assistance in your mother's home town. If the violent behavior is such that she is capable of harming herself or others, consult about legal advice regarding a course of action that includes your mother's safety and the safety of others. There is help available and in most areas of the country, there are senior services and professionals who can assist you and your mother.

For more information:

Go to the Senior Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Evelyn L Fitzwater, DSN, RN Evelyn L Fitzwater, DSN, RN
Associate Professor Emerita
Associate Director of the
College of Nursing
University of Cincinnati