Upper mouth problem

09/26/2007

Question:

For the past three (3) days I have had an irritation in the upper roof of my mouth. It feels as if I ate or drank something too hot and scalded this part of my mouth. i have no recollection of scalding the mouth with food or drink. The ony time that the pain presents itself is when I swallow and especially when I eat or drink. The condition has nor changed over the past three days (it is not geting better). Does this sound like Burning Mouth syndron?

Answer:

First of all, have you seen your dentist or primary care provider to have them examine and evaluate this?

It could be burning mouth syndrome, as that problem is usually related to burning sensation associated with lack of signs of mucosal trauma or irritation.  The associated symptoms of BMS are generally manifested in and around the tongue, but not always.

Do you have ulcerated areas or areas of localized erythema (redness)? Localized ulceration on the roof of the mouth may be related to allergy to food or toothpaste or dental materials (Denture base acrylic).You also may have a contact allergy (lichenoid reaction) or a low grade fungal infection (especially if you wear a denture).

I would have your dentist or physician take a look.  You may need to see an oral surgeon or oral medicine specialist to determine what is occurring, and help threat this problem.

Three years is a long to time to continue to have symptoms, and it should be evaluated.

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine