Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Ill fitting dentues

08/31/2007

Question:

My father is 87 years old. Couple of months ago he got new set of complete dentures made as his old ones were giving him a lot of trouble. The dentist had told him that due to old age his gums had shrunk and he needed new ones. So my father spent a lot of money (for him) but the new ones have been even more painful. He hasn`t eaten a proper meal for months and is extremely frustrated. He has gone back many times to see the dentist who says he has done many things like re-shaping etc. to make them fit better but he says because of my father`s age and shrunken gums nothing can be done.

Is he right?

Answer:

He may be right. It is hard to tell with out seeing the patient. For some patients, it takes awhile to get use to the new dentures. Sometimes after several adjustments the dentures don’t fit well anymore and they need to be relined. My advice will be to get a second opinion by another dentist specialist in dentures or a prosthodontist. They will reevaluate the dentures and tell you what to do.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine