Iron taste in mouth

09/07/2007

Question:

I am 36 years of age I was diagnosed with PBC in august 2006. This past few weeks I cannot seem to get rid of the taste of iron in my mouth. I have been to the dentist recently and everything was ok. Would you be able to tell me whether this is due to the PBC (primary biliary cirrohosis)? Thank you

Answer:

Metallic taste in the mouth is not a symptom that has been described as being directly related to primary biliary cirrhosis. There are at least 50 different medications that can cause a metallic taste in the mouth. Furthermore, there is a condition known as burning mouth syndrome, which is actually a sensory neuropathy (the nerves that transmit sensations from the mouth - such as information regarding pain, taste and texture - don't seem to work correctly), and this usually occurs in women. The taste component of that condition may present as a "taste phantom", and a metallic taste is not unusual. First check with your doctor to make sure that you are not taking one of the medications that causes metallic taste.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology