Iron taste in mouth

I am 36 years of age I was diagnosed with PBC in august 2006. This past few weeks I cannot seem to get rid of the taste of iron in my mouth. I have been to the dentist recently and everything was ok. Would you be able to tell me whether this is due to the PBC (primary biliary cirrohosis)? Thank you

Metallic taste in the mouth is not a symptom that has been described as being directly related to primary biliary cirrhosis. There are at least 50 different medications that can cause a metallic taste in the mouth. Furthermore, there is a condition known as burning mouth syndrome, which is actually a sensory neuropathy (the nerves that transmit sensations from the mouth - such as information regarding pain, taste and texture - don't seem to work correctly), and this usually occurs in women. The taste component of that condition may present as a "taste phantom", and a metallic taste is not unusual. First check with your doctor to make sure that you are not taking one of the medications that causes metallic taste.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology