Exercise and Fitness

Weight loss and saggy skin

09/10/2007

Question:

I am a 26 year old mother and I am 30lbs over weight. I have started to excercise and I eat only healthy food. So far I have managed to lose 10 lbs; but now i find that my skin are sagging especially on my face. This is making me look older and unattractive. Is there anything I can do about this. Are there any specific excersises that can elp me lose weight without sagging the skin. I also would like to know if any lotions ard creams would help prevent the sagging skin. If yes, can suggest some for me. Thanks.

Answer:

Loose skin after weight loss is not uncommon. A sound fitness program will be helpful to your overall health as well as your skin.

First, consider an aerobic exercise program that includes some type of activity that engages the large muscle groups of the body for a continuous length of time. Examples include; walking, bicycling, running, rowing, dancing, etc. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends 20-60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise 3-5 days per week. Intensity should be considered. It is recommended that your exercise intensity range from 55/65 %-90% of your individual target heart rate. If you are new to exercise you may find it necessary to break up your exercise sessions into separate shorter bouts per day at a lower intensity level (40-60%). Over time increase your exercise frequency, duration, and intensity to attain the recommendations listed above.

Secondly, start a strength training program that exercises all of the major muscle groups. ACSM (2006) recommends strength training 3-5 days per week. The recommendation is; one to three sets of 3-20 repetitions of 8-10 exercises that focus on the major muscle groups. Major muscle groups include; legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms. Aerobic exercise and strength training will contribute to improving your body composition. Body composition consists of lean muscle mass and fat mass. The goal is to attain more lean muscle mass versus fat mass.

Flexibility training (stretching) is also encouraged. ACSM recommends a minimum of three to five days per week of stretching the major muscle groups. Stretch each muscle 2-4 times for 15-30 seconds.

Another important aspect to consider is obtaining a nutritious diet that fuels the body. Proper hydration is essential.

If you need instruction in strength training, cardiovascular activities, stretching exercises or calculating your target heart rate, consult your local YMCA, fitness center, or a personal trainer. A registered dietician can assist you in obtaining the proper nutrition that is right for you.

Before you start any exercise program, consult with your physician.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley