Menopause

Hot flashes are gone

09/17/2007

Question:

I don`t get it, I`ve been having them every single hour for 3 months now, day and night. So I tried Clonidine which took exactly 13 days to take effect and it only lessened the severity of them(not the amount) but the pills made me so weak I stopped them after 16 days. Now another 6 days have gone by and no hot flashes and no waking up every hour all night long, plus no more weakness or dry mouth from the pills. Is this still the pills doing something or they`ve gone away after only 3 months??? (I`m 49 - no pregnancies with everything intact and not taking any pills of any kind, fsh @ 79.5) I am baffled? Care to make an educated guess?

Answer:

It is not uncommon for women to go in and out of menopause. Your ovaries may have started making more estrogen again. If your menses had already stopped, they may start up anew.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology