Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Daughter`s sore tongue

09/12/2007

Question:

3d ago my daughter began complaining about her tongue. Specifically, under and along the sides. Upon observation I noticed a blister and swelling along the edges that gives it a wavey effect. She states that it hurts and now she also has a a slight sore throat. This is preventing her from eating. We are currrently using Listerine and salt water for rinsing and garling. Is this serious, should we take her to a proffesional? Please help. Thank-you..........

Answer:

Almost everyone contracts at some time (usually in childhood) an infection caused by the Herpes simplex virus, and it causes symptoms similar to your daughter's. It can cause ulcers on the tongue, gums and other soft tissues in the mouth as well as a fever and sore throat. This infection usually runs its course in 10 - 14 days and clears uneventfully. This infection is highly contagious and can be spread easily among children.

You should see your pediatrician if your child cannot swallow fluids as dehydration can be a serious complication. The lesions can be cultured to confirm the diagnosis, and children with weak immune systems may need treatment with antiviral drugs.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry