Tingling in left arm and left leg

09/12/2007

Question:

Hi I am 36 yr old.. and from couple of days I am experiencing tingling sensation in my left arm and left leg. The arms tingle from the elbow down and the last 3 fingers are more affected. The legs tingle knee down..I drink few times a week...do not smoke. Recently lost 13 kgs while on a diet and gained 8 back. I work with computers most of the time.

Answer:

Your arm symptoms in isolation may be from a pinched nerve in the neck, elbow or wrist.  It would be unusual for an pinched nerve in the neck to cause tingling of the upper and lower extremities on only one side of the body.  Given the presence of paresthesia (tingling) of both the upper and lower extremity, I would advise a physician evaluation to consider other possible causes (such as diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, anemia, thyroid disease and stroke).  I hope this helps.

Charles Webster, MD