Head and Neck Cancer

Ultrsound on my neck

10/01/2007

Question:

I got an ultrasound done on my neck for a posible mini stroke. I also have rheumatoid arthritis and on Enbrel. Could the ultrasound on my neck for the mini stroke pick up if I have lymphoma or is that a totaly different part of the neck?

Answer:

These studies when ordered are to address specific issues. In your case it would be focused on the carotid arteries, looking for areas of narrowing and reduced flow. Adjacent structures like lymph nodes could also be seen, but this would be highly dependent on the technician. There are lymph nodes all over the neck, and the jugular chain of lymph nodes runs right next to the carotid artery.

Regardless, the diagnosis of lymphoma would not be able to be made on an ultrasound even if some nodes were enlarged. It would require more studies including a biopsy to make a diagnosis of lymphoma.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery