Arthritis and Rheumatism

Lumps or nodules on fingers and heel

09/17/2007

Question:

I am a 55 year old woman going through the menopause, I have noticed nodules on my fingers and my joints are very stiff, especially on rising in the morning or after a rest period, my feet are especially hard to get going!

Last night I noticed a lump on the back of my heel, its not really painful but is making my shoes feel tight. Could any of this be caused my diet or could it be hormonal? I don`t take any medication.

I love walking and am fairly active so I am worried that it will affect my lifestyle.

Answer:

Let me start by saying that I would recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care provider to have these symptoms evaluated. They could be the result of a dermatologic condition, it could be a form of arthritis or it may be something unrelated to either. Considering how much you enjoy walking and an active lifestyle I would encourage you to visit your doctor.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery