Dental Anesthesia

Regarding hot feeling before passing out

09/24/2007

Question:

I went to the dentist & had an upper wisdom tooth pulled when I got home I started getting a hot sensation,passing out,nausea & having seizures is this an allergic reaction to the numbing agent I had?? The numbing last for 3 to 4 hours when it wore off then that`s when I started having my problems with the hot feeling before passing out then having seizures then throwing up. Any informtin you send me or find out please let me know this type of feelings have never happend to me. Thank You,

Answer:

This does not sound like a reaction to local anesthesia, as your symptoms occurred so long after the procedure.  It sounds as if you fainted (vasovagal reaction, syncope).  Seizure-like activity can occur during a fainting spell.  Perhaps you were dehydrated (and possibly hypoglycemic).  If you have a history of fainting, the reflex thought to be responsible for this may be more active in you.  You may want to contact your dentist and possibly your family physician if you are concerned about this.  It does not seem likely due to local anesthesia.

Go to the Dental Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry