Allergies

Thick Mucus in Sinus

10/02/2007

Question:

Tests showed that I have very thick mucus in my sinus. I have tried all over-the-counter medications to thin it out, with no luck. My doctor sent me to an allergist who said I was not allergic to anything he could determine. I have trouble breathing at night when I lay down to go to sleep and the mucus plugs up my air passages. I`m afraid I will suffocate if it gets any worse. Any suggestions? (I was exposed to mold, but the allergist said I was not allergic to mold.)

Answer:

The issue of thick mucus is difficult. Sometimes, thick mucus can be a sign of other problems. However, many normal people have thick mucus. If there is persistent mucus in your sinuses, then you may want to discuss other causes of sinus mucus, such as fungal infection (allergic fungal sinusitis) and possibly Cystic Fibrosis.

These are two common causes of thick mucus.

Cystic Fibrosis is usually discovered in children, however, there are some types that could present in an adult. I would discuss these things with your doctor, ask why the mucus is there and why it is thick, there should be answers to these questions.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

David  Hauswirth, MD David Hauswirth, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Crtitical Care & Sleep
Pediatrics