Tingling teeth

10/03/2007

Question:

My two front upper teeth have been tingling for the past several weeks and today it has gotten a little more intense. Do you know what might be causing this?

Answer:

A tingling sensation can be caused by several different situations. It might be the result of trauma. Since you did not mention any initiating event, I will assume that you did not receive a blow to these teeth. It is possible that you are grinding or clenching your teeth. It is very common and can occur if you are under increased stress.

There are remedies that your dentist can offer you if this is the case. It is possible that you have decay in one or both of these teeth. You did not say how often you go to the dentist or when your last check up was so this is a possibility. There are other possible situations. The best thing to do is to visit your dentist and have them examine you and possibly take radiographs of these teeth. They should be able to determine the cause and provide a solution to this problem.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry