Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids

Missing one of my incisors



Hi, I am 17 years old and I`ve been missing my right incisor tooth since I was little. My top teeth shifted completely so now my gap is filled but when I smile my teeth are looking in a different direction. My bottom teeth are over crowded so I was thinking of getting braces but would it help out my top teeth and move them over where they are suppose to be or would they create a gap and if it did create a gap what could I do?


I hope I can help you. You did not say whether you are male of female. The reason that I mention this is that men often show only their lower teeth and women tend to show more of their upper teeth when they smile. Also, braces in one arch (jaw) and not in the other will not solve the esthetics problem.

You need to visit an orthodontist in your area who will be able to examine your mouth and answer your question more specifically. Make sure that the orthodontist is trained. The American Association of Orthodontists can supply you with the names of these trained specialists. You just need to give the general area in which you live. You may call 1 800 242 2841.

For more information:

Go to the Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University