Dental and Oral Health (Children)

How long to wait for loose baby teeth to fall

10/02/2007

Question:

I read a previous question about the need to pull baby teeth when the adult teeth are coming in on the "tongue-side". The answer said it is a common condition and when the baby teeth naturally fall out, the tongue will push the adult teeth into place. My question is, what would an acceptable time frame be to wait for the baby teeth to fall out? Are we talking days, weeks, months or years?

Answer:

Anytime there is a concern about "teeth coming out" on time and eruption - a evaluation by a dentist is warranted. The dentist can also let you know whether the tooth that is erupting lingual (tongue side) is not resorbing the baby tooth enough to help it out. Each case is different and an evaluation can give you a better individualized timeline on "how long to wait", including factors such as "dental age" (are the teeth coming in appropriate sequence), and overall growth & development.

Thank you.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry