Digestive Disorders

S.SGPT

10/01/2007

Question:

I would like to know what does S.SGPT signifies? Last June I went through a medical test wherein my S.SGPT and S.SGOT were recorded as 165 and 65 respectively. I am 26 years old and never use Alcohol or smoking. Could you please tell me the significance of these on liver. Thanks.

Answer:

These two molecules are abbreviations for 2 enzymes which are found in the liver cells, also called the hepatocytes. The hepatocytes are the majority cell type of the liver, representing nearly 90% of the liver substance.

As liver cells die, their cell walls break apart, and they spill the contents of the liver cells out into the bloodstream. As a large percentage of the liver cell has these enzymes in the fluid, we can look in the blood and measure these enzymes. Thus the SGPT and SGOT act as surrogates for liver cells dying.

This is not specific however, and there are other organs (such as the intestines) which can also secrete these enzymes.

With this said, there are lots of things which can cause a mildly elevated SGOT and SGPT. Exercise, a sub-clinical viral infection, are two that come to mind for your age group. However, there are other things as well, including a fatty liver, and some metabolic or congenital liver diseases, etc.

I would have these labs re-drawn. If they are still elevated, you should see a Gastroenterologist or a liver specialist, also called a hepatologist.

With your young age, and non-alcohol behavior, I suspect that you do not have anything to worry about. Please make sure that your doctor also gets a Total bilirubin, direct and indirect bilirubin, as well as alkaline phosphatase level drawn as well. The elevations your mention are mild and certainly not anywhere near through the roof!!!!

Good luck.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Steven  M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS Steven M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS
Formerly
Professor of Surgery, Director of Liver Transplat and Hepatobiliary Surgery