Digestive Disorders

Stomach ache

10/09/2007

Question:

My daughter is 17 years old. She doesn`t eat breakfast in the morning before school. At lunch she doesn`t eat a lot. She might have a bagle, pretzel and something to drink. When she comes home from school she will have a snack. It`s nothing too heavy. Then at dinner she will eat a decent meal which could be steak, chicken, vegetable, sometimes pasta, hamburgers or hotdogs, tacos and something to drink which could be water, soda, or ice tea. On friday of this week she mentioned to me that in the beginning of the week starting on monday she noticed that after she ate dinner her stomach would start bothering her and she would end up having diarrhea. Then she would be ok and then maybe later on after dinner she would have a snack and she would be fine. This happened on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. It didn`t happen after eating any other meal. Just after she ate dinner. Prior to this week she wasn`t having any of these problems. She doesn`t have any other symptoms. What could be causing this?

Answer:

It is difficult to say. Any reason to suspect an eating disorder? She may also have something as simple as irritable bowel syndrome or lactose intolerance. Start keeping a food diary of what she is eating and when symptoms occur to try to narrow things down. If that is not helpful, consider seeing your primary care doctor.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine