Digestive Disorders

Chronic Nausea

11/08/2007

Question:

Although my son had been diagnosed about 3 years ago with Crohns Disease, no doctor can find a trace of the disease since the initial bout occured. He does not have any of the typical symptoms. We are truly grateful, after so many tests the doctor felt, it had truly been something else. There was not a trace of it anywhere. No scar tissue, no thickening of where the ulcer had been - no sign that it had ever been there.

What we are experiencing is a chronic bout with nausea, no pains, no spasms, just nausea. He is a fairly well grounded kid (16 yrs. old). He has a full life, nothing that he can`t handle. My pediatrician said something about stomach migrains. He is taking periactin now. Do yo think that this is what it may be? I have never heard of this. Can you explain it to me?

Answer:

Abdominal migraines is a condition that may occur before a child starts developing classic migraines. Abdominal migraines usually consist of episodes of abdominal pain that may be associated with nausea, vomiting and feeling of not wanting to eat.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine