Newborn and Infant Care

Dairy for baby 8 month old

10/08/2007

Question:

My baby will turn 8 months next week. So far I have only tried veggies, fruits and oatmeal for him. Now I am planning to give him cheese, yogurt and other dairy foods. I was just wonderin if we can give him the same yogurts and cheese that we normally eat or do we need to buy any special yogurts/cheese that are made especially for the babies. Please advice.

Answer:

Your baby can eat the yogurt and cheese you and your husband eat. However, it would be best to avoid the yogurts with citrus fruit or berries in them, since these fruits more often cause allergic reactions in babies under a year of age. Use grated cheese for the baby rather than chunks that could choke the baby.

The American Academy of Pediatrics' Pediatric Nutrition  Handbook (2004) and Bright Futures in Practice: Nutrition (2nd edition) guidelines recommend avoiding giving infants under a year of age cow's milk or other non-dairy milks not made specifically for infants. Wheat, egg whites, fish, shellfish, and nut products should also be avoided until after a year of age. In families with a strong history of food allergies, these foods should be avoided until after 3 years of age.

I hope this information is helpful.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN