Head and Neck Cancer

What is this lump on the left side of my neck

10/25/2007

Question:

I have this lump on the side of my neck. It is noticeable until i tilt my neck to the right. Some days it feels larger than others. I went to the doctor and got some blodd work done but everything seemed to be fine. I was prescribed antibiotics for a week and that was it. That was3 weeks ago and the lump is still there. I have this discomforting pain in the area of the bump. Is there a certain specialist I should go see about this? how can i get an answer as to what this bump is?

Answer:

Lumps and bumps that persist in the neck after treatment with antibiotic should be further evaluated. An ear nose and throat physician would be an appropriate specialist to see. Getting answer as to what this bump is should involve a thorough head and neck examination by the physician. A radiologic image, for example CT scan or MRI, may also be needed.

Neck Lump

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery