Diabetes

Diabetes and radiation

10/10/2007

Question:

I just had radiation and checked my sugar and it was sky high for me. Generally with chemo I understood that dextrose was in the cocktail and I kept my sugar levels under control but they went up to 289, now I am 277, I don`t cheat on my diabetes, just wondering why my sugar is so high? thank you

Answer:

Many things affect blood sugar besides what you eat:  perhaps the process of going through the radiation therapy is stressful for you, or there is some inflammation at the areas of radiation damage - either of those could affect your blood sugars.  Key is to keep an eye on your sugars, don't beat yourself up over things like this and learn from your health care provider how to make adjustments in your regimen when things like this happen.  Learning a few tricks to help with your blood sugar control will minimize the effects of this and allow you to heal up from your radiation.  Good luck and feel free to write back with more questions.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine