Hemorrhage behind the eye

10/11/2007

Question:

I had a eye test today and the optition said i had a hemorage behind my left eye, he has told me to see my gp to have some tests done, but can you explain what has caused this and what is the outcome for someone who has this problem? as the optition did not really explain very well. i have recently had my 8th baby could the birth have caused this? thank you

Answer:

It is hard to say with 100% confidence what the cause is. However, we are most concerned with an undiagnosed systemic vascular condition. Your family doctor will probably have instructions to check your blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, anemia, and or signs of systemic inflammation.

It is possible to get a bit of bleeding in the back of the eye that can not be traced to a systemic condition, however, the bleeding is usually associated with with a systemic condition that has caused weakening of the blood vessel wall.

Best of luck.

Melissa M Walters, OD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Optometry