Bone bruise

10/12/2007

Question:

I recently had a tetanus shot and the nurse who administered the shot hit a bone in my upper arm/shoulder. My physician said (after an office visit 3 weeks after the shot and I was still having pain) that heat and it would probably 4-6 weeks before it would be back to normal. What shouldn`t I do (ie I exercise 5 days a week including strength and weight training)?. Thanks.

Answer:

As long as there is not a hematoma in the arm, you should be able to participate in your usual exercise regimen.  Anti-inflammatory pain medications should help with the discomfort.  If your pain persists or is not improved, then calcification of a hematoma or nerve injury should be considered as possible alternative explanations for your discomfort.  If the pain is not better within another 10-14 days, I would recommend repeat evaluation by your physician.

Charles Webster, MD