Tongue problems my doctors can`t diagnose

10/17/2007

Question:

I get periodic sores in my mouth, it feels like spots of burning; they are very painful. you can`t really see the spots that feel like they are burning, but when this happens, you can sometimes see other areas that are rasied, and darker red, sometimes also small bumps as if a few taste buds are swollen, or ridges. BUt you cannot really see the spots the hurt the most and that are burning. At times I get a reaction immediately after eating something acidy like salad with balsamic vinegar dressing; sometimes my tongue feels to be swelling on the sides and it is very painful, making it hard to eat or talk; talking becomes slurred. I also have problems which I feel intuitively is part of the same problem, but I haven`t been able to identify exactly when it occurs: I get bloating so painful all I want to do is get home and lie down. It is hard to walk. I can tell when this is starting, it takes a few hours to reach the peak and it takes a night of sleep really, to calm down, often longer. I do feel that these symptoms are triggered by food, but can`t quite pin it down.

My physician prescribed ointment for the togue years ago, but it didn`t help. I have had several doctors look at my tongue but no one seems to have an idea of what it is and how to prevent it from happening. I guess I could do one of the elimination diets, but I`m wondering if the symptoms are recognizable to you. Thank you very much! -- Been stumped for a while.

Answer:

If there are no visible lesions on the tongue, then the most likely consideration for your symptoms would be burning tongue or mouth syndrome. You will find additional information regarding this often frustrating, but benign, condition at the links below.

Burning Mouth Syndrome
Oral Conditions - Information for Patients (AAOMP)
Common Mouth and Tongue Conditions

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology