Urinary Tract Cancers

Treatment for prostate infection

My doctor has prescribed Cripro 500mg twice a day to clear up a suspected prostate infection. My question is how long before I will see relief from the symptoms? I just started taking the medication and have only taken two doses. Am I being unrealistic in expecting results already?

Prostate infections can be acute or chronic.

Acute prostatic infection is usually a severe infection that often requires the man to be hospitalized for iv antibiotics and the time to see symptom relief may start in a few days but the illness takes more than one week to resolve usually. If acute prostatitis is less severe the time to see benefit may be only a few days.

Chronic prostatitis is usually not an infection but is a pain syndrome and antibiotics thus usually are not prescribed for symptom relief. This is a concept that has been valid for between 5 and 10 years but is not always appreciated by non urologists.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

R Bruce  Bracken, MD R Bruce Bracken, MD
Professor of Surgery