High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure at 22

10/22/2007

Question:

I am 22 years old and the only medication I am taking at the moment is cymbalta. My blood pressure has been around 160/104 for the last 3 weeks. What does this mean and what should I do? My doctor`s nurse just tells me that they will talk about it and go from there and I don`t feel enough is being done.

Answer:

A blood pressure of 160/104 in a 22 year old person is always a cause for concern.  It is unlikely that the hypertension is caused by Cymbalta.  It is possible that you have developed essential hypertension at an early age, but it is also possible that you have an underlying cause for your elevated blood pressure.

You will need an evaluation by a physician to determine if there is an  underlying cause for your hypertension.  These include a hyperactive thyroid, kidney disease, or another hormonal disorder.  At any rate, you will need treatment to reduce your blood pressure.

You should discuss your high blood pressure with your physician, in order to determine what type of treatment is right for you.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section