Blisters

10/18/2007

Question:

Walked for 6 days at amusement parks in Calif. and developed big blister on side of foot by the ball and big toe. Also smaller blisters on bottom of toes. I need information on how to care for them as it hurts to walk. Also how to properly care for them as one on side of the ball of my foot is the size of a quarter now and really puffy. Can you help me to know what to do?? How to care properly for them so no bad infection occurs? Dr. is gone out of town on vacation right now plus he is usually not very helpful with old ladies like me.

Answer:

If you have diabetes or peripheral vascular disease I would suggest that you see a foot care specialist immediately as this type of mild injury can progress fairly rapidly. If you are in good health you can follow the following plan:

If this was a new pair of shoes that caused the blisters you may want to take them back to ensure that you were fit properly. If they are fit properly it is always a good idea to wear a new pair of shoes around the house for a few days to break them in before hitting the walking paths.

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery