Tiny, reccuring bubble under tongue

11/08/2007

Question:

a painful, tiny, clear looking bubble keeps appearing under my tongue. it pops some how and goes away, but weeks later returns. i`m a 26 yr old female who works and goes to school. is it stress or immune related, or something serious? it`s always in the center underneath my tongue. kind of reminds me of a blister and once it goes away i forget about it until it`s back. only lasts a few days at a time. please advise.

Answer:

This probably represents what is known as a mucocele, which is a harmless, annoying condition caused when one of the little tubes that leads from a minor salivary gland to the surface of the mouth gets disrupted. The mucus pours into the tissue under the lining of the mouth, creating what appears to be a blister. Usually people have to see an oral surgeon to have the minor salivary gland responsible for the mucocele removed.

Mucocele

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology