Gynecology

Bleeding during intercourse

10/22/2007

Question:

I have been having sex on and off for about 6 years. I am now 20 years old, and recently over the past couple of months, I have had bleeding during sex. There is no bleeding of any sort after sex is finished. Before I started bleeding, sex had always been painful but now since the bleeding the pain has stoped. I had a regular pap test, and all the STD results came back negative. About a year ago a growth was found on my petuitary gland, and a couple of small cysts were also found on my ovaries. The doctors have all said that both of these are normal and they do not need to be removed. But if this is the cause of the bleeding during sex, than how do I make it stop?

Answer:

If you have regular cycles, then it is unlikely that the pituitary or ovarian cysts are the cause of the bleeding. It could be something anatomic like a polyp or growth on the cervix. You need to be thoroughly evaluated with a physical exam and testing.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education