Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

8 year old boy, bedwetting?

10/24/2007

Question:

My son who is 8 year old has the problem of bedwetting at night and also passes bowel movements in his trouser at times during the day. Please guide me how to resolve this problem and why does it happen.

Answer:

An 8 yr old boy with a combination of bedwetting at night and “soiling” or stooling in his pants during the day is more complexed than the usual bedwetting at night.

The involuntary deposition of stools in undergarments during the day (called encopresis) may be a complicated GI problem related to either chronic constipation, painful passage of stools, neurological problems or behavioral/emotional issues.

Would suggest this child be evaluated carefully by a pediatrician or pediatric gastroenterologist since the presence of both this daytime and night problems is more complicated than simply bedwetting at nighttime.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Mark   Splaingard, MD Mark Splaingard, MD
Clinical Professor of Pediatrics