Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Dizziness, racing heart, numbness

10/22/2007

Question:

I had a new crown put on 5 days ago and ever since then I have been feeling lightheaded, dizzy, have had rapid heart beatings, and tingling and numbness in my left hand. Could this be related to my dentist visit?

Answer:

Please excuse my delay in answering your question as I did not have internet access for a while.

It is unlikely that a crown could cause these symptoms, and you should be evaluated by your primary care physician if you have not already done so. Your condition may be related to a cardiac or neurological condition or some other cause.

Theoretically, some of your symptoms might remotely be related in the following manner: If the crown was not fitted to your bite properly, particularly if you had some pre-existing muscular facial and neck pain problems (myofascial pain syndrome of the muscles of the head, neck and shoulders), the change in bite may have exacerbated this problem and led to increased symptoms. I think it is extremely unlikely to be the crown if you never experienced these symptoms before, and they all just started. Also, the rapid heart beat would not be associated with this syndrome.

Again, please seek medical evaluation if you have not already done so and your symptoms persist.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry