Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


What specialist treats hemochromatosis?



I would like to know what sort of specialist usually treats hemochromatosis -- a hematologist? Is a primary physician usually the one to make the diagnosis?

Thank you!


Hemochromatosis is usually treated by a patient’s primary care or family physician or a hematologist. A primary physician usually makes the initial diagnosis based on iron panel testing. Also, confirmatory genetic testing can be ordered. It is helpful for a genetic counselor and/or geneticist to help in interpreting the genetic testing results and providing genetic counseling and risk assessment for the patient and other family members.

For more information:

Go to the Hemochromatosis health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Amy Curry Sturm, MS, LGC Amy Curry Sturm, MS, LGC
Associate Professor of Human Genetics
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University