Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Pain in mouth when I open mouth to eat

11/06/2007

Question:

It all started on October 16 when I had a tooth filled. Less than a week went by when I could not open my mouth wide enough to eat. If I open too wide the pain makes me cry. Being the baby I am at age 53, I called the dentist. He sent me home with penicillin vk 500mg. As long as I do not open wide enough to eat all is well. My new meals are soup, McDonald french fries and milk shakes. Today I attempted a tastycake apple pie, only to find the pain brings me to my knees. The advil is not cuting the mustard and now I can not brush my teeth. Have dropped in weight from 205 to 197 in less than a week. This is actually a good thing, i think. The pain jabs me in the back of the left teeth area then up my head to my eyes. Please help have been rotating hot and cold as dentist recommended.

Answer:

It looks like you develop some soreness in your muscle around the jaws. You may need some muscle relaxant, it needs to be prescribe by your doctor. For now don’t open your mouth to much until you are taking the right medication and you feel better, use some warm towels around the affected area, few times per day. It will help to relax the muscles. Give it some time to the muscle to recuperate.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine