Pressure in head & fullness in ears

11/06/2007

Question:

Hello, I have been suffering from a feeling of pressure in my head which causes slight nausea for about four weeks now. 2 weeks ago i had a Vertigo attack and since then i have had a constant headache, still the feeling of pressure in my head and fullness in my ears. Ears are very sore when exposed to cold or wind. I have had a CT scan which came back normal. Can`t get in to see a ENT for a few weeks but am very worried as the symptoms are not going away.

Can you offer any suggestions on what could be causing my symptoms? I am starting to feel very down. Thanks very much

Answer:

I am glad that your CT scan is normal; that means (most likely) that there is not a brain tumor (although an MRI may be needed in the future).

I wonder if your symptoms are all related to a cold or other viral infection.

I think this should get better with time.

I do agree with your plan to see an otolaryngologist. You will need an audiogram and an ENG (dizziness test).

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program