Breast Cancer

Burning sensation around duct in areola

11/15/2007

Question:

I have been having a burning sensation around one of the ducts in my left Areola. I went to have it checked out by my O.B Dr. and he wrote me out a perscription for a steriod cream that he wanted for me to apply to the area 3 x`s a day for two weeks. I did it for two weeks and it seemed a bit better however, it is now burning again in the same small isolated area and is a bit red. It does not seem to be swollen or leaking at all but the burning pain is present. It is a very small area and has not enlarged since my appointment. There is not a lump in the area where the redness and pain are present. It has been going on now for about 5 weeks. Is this cancerous or do you think that it is an infection? I`m ready to call the Dr. again and have him re-examine me. If you have any information on what this may be or suggestions on how to reduce the pain it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Answer:

Since there is no mass or rash present, it seems unlikely to be cancer, but follow-up with your doctor is recommended.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery and Internal Medicine