Torn calf muscle and numbness of feet

11/14/2007

Question:

In my sports training, I have torn the calf muscle in both legs. Just recently, I ran 3 miles and both of my feet began to go numb. Is this due to the torn calf muscles or is it a circulation problem?

Answer:

It needs to be clarified if you indeed tore your calf muscle on both sides (which would be unusual), and also if you tore your calf muscle on both sides again (which would be even more unusual). A physical exam would usually suffice, although an MRI scan would be even more definitive. 

A torn calf muscle wouldn't cause your feet to feel numb. However, calf pain as well as foot numbness symptoms could be symptoms of

Physical examination and possibly diagnostic studies would further evaluate for these possibilities.

Finally, another potential cause of foot numbness is that you could be lacing your running shoes too tightly.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation