Braces

Not satisfied with results of braces

11/09/2007

Question:

I had braces a few years ago to correct my crowded teeth. I had to have my 4 bicuspids removed to correct the problem. The end result was not exactly what I had in mind. It is just that my teeth are not quite as good as I thought they would be. At one time we were going to keep my wisdom teeth and move them up with the rest of the teeth, but we decided to have them pulled. During the process of having my braces on we anchored down with my first molar and moved the teeth forward. My second molar, which was the one in the back of my mouth was left untreated and undisturbed. Now, I have noticed the the back molar is not in line with the rest of the teeth and it just looks very odd because it was not brought forward any. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is this normal? Can I wear an appliance at night to move these back molars forward and inline. Thanks for your help.

Answer:

Its sounds as though you were very well involved in the decision process of your treatment from the beginning.  I cannot diagnose without diagnostic information at my fingertips. What I can do is to tell you  is to ask your orthodontic office for a recall appointment and tell the receptionist what your  concerns are so that the practice can have the records in front of the doctor.  Then ask the questions you have asked me. The orthodontist will have the early records (unless you were a transfer) to compare with the present condition and can address your concerns.  There are often late changes that occur to the dentition that need additional treatment depending somewhat on how long the individual has been out of retention.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry