Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Rolling over at 1 month

11/16/2007

Question:

My niece recently had a baby and there was some trauma at birth. The baby was blue when she was born and was put on antibiotics for an infection. She spent a week in the intensive care nursery. Right before she turned one month old she rolled over twice from her stomach to her back. She also "stretches" quite a bit. There is a strong family history of Cerebal Palsy, an uncle and a cousin. I am concerned about the early rolling over and the "stretching". Am I justified in my concern?

Answer:

This question has been forwarded by Children's Health:

Cerebral palsy (CP) is a disorder that affects movement and posture and usually happens when there is some type of injury to the brain. It is difficult to diagnose CP in babies before 6 to 12 months of age and there are different types of CP.

Babies usually start to begin to roll between the ages of about 2 to 6 months - first from their sides to their backs, then from their stomachs to their backs and finally from their backs to their stomachs. So rolling over before a month of age is not common, but could have happened by accident. You may want to talk to your niece about asking the baby's doctors if they have any concerns about the baby's muscle tone and her early rolling and "stretching".

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics