Pain Management

Possible Liver Pain

Hi. I have had extreme abdominal pain near the liver area for over 7 yrs. I have had several tests over the years and came up empty handed. I have these symptoms:severe abdominal pain, nausea, dizziness, bloody nose, backaches, headaches, diarrhea, rash on stomach and neck Here are some of my past surgeries. I had one period at age 16, it lasted 2 weeks, had my tonsils out, few days after I needed a blood transfusion. I am 25 now diagnosed with poly cystic ovary disease and a fatty liver. I am running out of answers and I am tired of suffering. Please help me find closure to what this might be?

You need to be seen at an interdisciplinary clinic that would have specialists from different fields to address your problem(s). It is usually a good idea to focus on the major symptom, and I get from your message that the right upper abdominal pain is the most bothersome. If the work-up by gastroenterology is negative (possibly with a second opinion), an evaluation by a pain specialist and a neurologist may be useful. In such cases, sometimes an epidural diagnostic injection is performed to figure out where the pain may be coming from; deep abdominal organs, abdominal wall or the nervous system. Based on that information, some other interventions may be planned.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine