Dental and Oral Health Center

Tiny blisters on roof of mouth

11/15/2007

Question:

I woke up with tiny blisters on the roof of my mouth. Also, under my tongue are blisters along the veins. I have been stressed and not eating or drinking the best. My biggest fear is that is the Herpes Virus. I had it recently on my lip and have been worried that I transfered it into my mouth. I haven`t had a fever and I`m in no pain.

I went to the dentist and he said that it was my glands, but he really didn`t relieve my fears. I asked him if could be the start of Herpes and he said maybe. If it is HSV, what would it look like? My eyelid had a very tiny blister on it. Went to the OD and she said it was a gland. Can dehydration cause this also? I know that I am asking a lot of questions, but I really appreciate it.

Answer:

If you have had herpes virus infection of the lip ("herpes labialis", also known as fever blister or cold sore), then you would not get this infection inside your mouth. The fact that the herpetic process is on your lip indicates that you have already had an initial infection in your mouth, although you might have been too young to recall the episode. When herpes involves the lining of the mouth, it is quite painful, and usually a fever is present. An examination would have to be done to see if the "blisters" that you describe are, in fact, blisters and not some normal anatomic variation. But the bottom line is that it does not sound as if you have herpes developing in your mouth.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology