Incontinence

Monarch sling complications

11/26/2007

Question:

I had a hysterectomy and bladder sling procedure done almost 2 years ago. I have been in constant pain ever since. I have severe burning pain in my right buttock. Sitting is almost untolerable. I also am very sore in my groin muscles which makes it difficult to walk very far. I have been to physical therapy, pain clinics etc. They seem to all agree the sling is pulling on a nerve, but no one seems to know how to relieve it. I have tried several injections also. My doctor has suggested removing the sling. This makes me very nervous. I don`t want to make things worse. After 2 years is it too late to remove the sling.

What is the success rate. I have no problems with my bladder function, but what will happen if the sling is removed? Thanks for any info you can give me!

Answer:

Unfortunately, removal of the residual graft used as the sling may not offer you the relief of pain you are expecting. Scar tissue has already developed and if it is entrapping the nerve of genito femoral nerve, release may help. Removal of what is left from the sling material should not make you incontinent of urine.

Go to the Incontinence health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery