Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Low platelets at birth

my daughter was born with low platelets at birth. she had little red dots on her. she had alot more brusing then usual. they told me that i had a negative platellet and its really rare. so do you know where i can get more information on this. i looked on many different sites they just tell you about low platelets as an adult not at birth.

Thank you.

It is difficult to say for sure what may be the cause of the low platelets in your daughter without knowing more information. There is a rare condition that is called neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia, but also a disorder called immune thrombocytopenic purpura could cause this. The second condition usually would occur after you had the same disorder and transiently passed on an antibody to your daughter.

I would tell you to speak with your daughter's physician to find out exactly what the diagnosis was, then you can better look for the most appropriate information.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine